My Favorite Childhood Book


Hello!

Welcome to day 6 of the 30 Day Blogging Challenge!

It feels like it has been forever since I have been on here. I posted Day 5, thinking I would come back to it the next day to make some minor changes and add things I was too tired to work on. But then on Thursday my washer leaked water all over the laundry closet in our house with carpet flooring (we rent, because believe me, if we owned this house that carpet would have been one of the first things I got rid of).

Anyway, watching a short YouTube video showed me how to pop the top open, which revealed a crack in the drain pipe. I spent over 2 hours watching YouTube videos trying to figure out how to get down to that stinkin' pipe so I could pull it out to replace it. After getting frustrated with the boys because they were whining, I realized I was not being fair. I had neglected them all morning, and I was feeling anxiety from the thought of how the rest of the house looked because I was dealing with the stupid washer! So I closed the door to the laundry closet, and focused on the boys the rest of the day.

On Friday, I asked my sweet neighbor if he would come help me figure out the washer. He (of course) figured it out in 15 minutes, including getting the pipe off for me! I went to get replacements, and couldn't find any ANYWHERE! So, I ended up having to buy them online. Now I am just waiting for them to be delivered as my laundry pile gets overwhelmingly bigger. My neighbor offered to let me use their washer and dryer, but I just don't want to deal with that right now. I will deal with the launder later.

So, now I have explained my lack of attentiveness to my blog, let's get on with the real post.

I was lucky to have been raised by parents who read. They read very different kinds of books, but since I can remember, they would spend lots of their free time reading, and this habit was passed on to most of us kids.

In my 20 Facts About Me post, twice I bring up books, which proves I am super passionate about reading. As I get older, my tendency to read all sorts of genres has greatly grown, but when I was younger, I stuck to pretty much the same kinds of books.

I remember the very first book I read by myself. I was sitting in a beanbag in my Kindergarten classroom, and I was holding in my hands the story of "The Three Little Pigs."I turned the last page, and thought to myself, "I just read that whole book to myself!!!!"

Ever since that day, I very rarely don't have a book that I am reading. If this every happens, I never know what to do with myself and end up wasting HOURS on social media (grrrrrr). As a favor to myself I just very rarely let that happen.

 When I was about 8 years old, I was at my Oma's house, and came across a book that I immediately loved and have since loved. I even recently found it at the local thrift store, and bought it even though they boys don't like it (yet).

It is called "The Little House" by Virginia Lee Burton. It is an old book, originally published in 1942.

Get this book HERE
The story follows a little house that was out in the country, who loved the people who owned her and all the different things the four seasons brought to her. But she was curious about the city, whose lights she could see in the distance at night, and wanted to know what it was like there. Slowly the city came to her, and she became broken, and missed her quiet country life. One day someone noticed her, and moved her back out to the country, and she was happy again.

When I first read this book, I think I just loved the simplicity of the story and felt sorry for the sweet little house.

But now that I am older, I can relate to her more. I love living the simple life. I grew up out in the country, and now that I live in a very busy city, I miss the quiet that came with that area. I love visiting cities, and seeing new and exciting places, but I also dislike the rush and the busyness that comes with it, just like the little house did.

This book was my favorite childhood book because I have always, and will always, find happiness in the simple things in life.

What was your favorite childhood book? Do you have just one or more? 

If you want to stay updated with my newest posts from the 30 Day Blogging Challenge, follow my page on Facebook to receive all the latest updates or click the "Follow" button in the Menu to your left to receive updates in your email.




Comments

  1. Gus the Friendly Ghost. 😊 Thank you so much for sharing. It was fun trying to remember which book I read several times while I was young.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish we had the first one! We have the one when he goes to school, which is a favorite of Ira's, and then one called "Gus the Mexican Ghost". I haven't actually read that one all the way through because Ira never has asked me to. But I really need to, because they are so fun! Thanks for commenting!

      Delete

Post a Comment