Homemade Flour Tortillas


Hello friends! 

Almost 2 weeks from today I returned home from a fun two weeks at my mom's house in Missouri. I have a lot of siblings, so I got to relax from doing dishes or worrying about what I was going to eat every day. It was a very nice break! 

The only problem with my vacation? After I came home I felt like a stranger in my own house! I would walk around my house, staring at everything and felt like something was not right, but at the same time I felt comfortable. It felt like I was just visiting my house out here in Utah, and that I actually lived in Missouri.Talk about weird!

My hubby was still here for most of my time away, so of course all the food was gone. He could have stocked up himself, but it takes a lot of time to keep up with all our homemade stuff, so I don't blame him. But now I get to do it. 😕 I have spent the past couple of days baking homemade bread,cooking beans and taco meat, making energy bites, and of course, stocking back up on my homemade tortillas.

Let's talk about these tortillas. Have you ever had a homemade tortilla? And not one of those pre-made ones that you can cook when you get home, but an actual fresh one? You are missing out if you haven't! 

 Homemade tortillas were one of our staple foods back when Matthew and I had $25 a week for groceries. They are cheap and relatively easy to make. And they taste fabulous! No additive and preservative aftertaste! I love them! I will probably always take the time to make them because I just can't go back now. That's how amazing they are!

I make big batches because I don't like to make them that often. It isn't like bread, where you have to take a little bit of time to make the dough at the beginning, and then you just let it rise and bake, which requires little to no attention. Tortillas, on the other hand, require constant attention, from start to finish.

Don't let that scare you from making some! One batch makes 16, which takes, from start to finish, about 1 hour. If you have one of those electric griddles, it will take even less time because you can cook more than 1 tortilla at a time. Hmmm, maybe I should think about investing in one, just for cooking tortillas...

Couple of things to keep in mind when you make these... 

First, they are not going to look like they came from the store. I am sure if you spend enough time on them they will be perfect circles, but they are not meant to look that way, so don't stress it. (Below is a freshly rolled out one. Make it into a roughly shaped circle, and I promise it won't change how it tastes. Same amount of deliciousness!)


Second, if they don't come out nice and soft, you are cooking them too long or the heat is too high. Turn down the heat, and turn them over before you think they are done. Then they will be just right.

Third, these are not just taco tortillas. They can be the crust for a pizza, smeared with butter and sprinkled with cinnamon sugar, or Ira likes them as a peanut butter & jelly sandwich! They are seriously the best tortillas ever! 

Please, please, please make these at least once in your lifetime! You will be so glad you did, and I guarantee you will be surprised at how simple these are to make!



 CLICK HERE for a printable of the recipe card above. Even if you never make the recipe, the card is cute enough to make it worth your time. 😉



Comments

  1. Thank you for the recipe! We never did get around to making them while you visited. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry it has taken SO long to respond! You're right! We never did! Did you get to try some last month when you visited? I just bought some store bought tortillas to try a recipe, and I am so glad that I make mine. They taste so much better!

      Delete
  2. I have been really curious about making my own tortillas, so thank you for this recipe! When you roll them out, do you have to use a floured surface? Have you ever used a tortilla press? Right now we just use corn tortillas for everything, but I miss flour tortillas occasionally (though corn tortilla cheese quesadillas are so awesome!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome! If your dough is a little sticky, you may want to roll them out on a floured surface, but I hate all the extra flour and my dough is rarely that sticky, so I don't really need to.

      I have heard of a tortilla press, and have been so tempted to buy one! Supposedly they make the tortilla forming process so much easier, but then I always think of the rolling pin that does a decent job already, and so put off buying one for another day.

      Corn tortilla quesadillas are the best! My husband's aunt from Mexico makes the yummiest ones!

      Delete

Post a Comment