Cloud in a jar Science Experiment for Toddlers


Do you ever plan an awesome activity to do with your kids, only for it to not interested them AT ALL?

Hours put into finding creative and fun experiments, crafts, games, quiet time activities, and what not...

More hours to buy supplies, print off printables, set everything up, read and re-read through the directions...

About 30 minutes or so chasing the child(ren) around, repeatedly asking them to go to the table, living room, porch, etc...

And finally, the activity is started and runs smoothly...for about 1 minutes and 47 seconds exactly, and then they are gone, and you are left alone with the remains of a wonderful project. Again. 

No? Just me? Okay then. 😒


Ira isn't interest in much else besides letters, so when he showed an interest in a science experiment we tried a few weeks ago (insert link), I was beyond excited! I immediately searched for more toddler-friendly science experiments and made a list.

The first on the list was something most people have seen on Pinterest a million times: cloud in a jar.

I thought this would be perfect for him because it was similar to the lava lamp experiment. Boy, was I wrong!

The experiment itself isn't bad. I loved it, which is why I am sharing it. I can see why other toddlers other than mine would love it. 

Here is where I made the mistake; Ira doesn't know how to use droppers, which is a huge part of the experiment. 

I quickly figured this out and tried to teach him how to use it, which only led to frustration and he was immediately done with the experiment. I should have respected this and whisked the supplies away and pulled out a book to read with him instead, but I pushed it a little too long, which only made him more angry. 

Don't do this! No matter how much time and effort you put into a project, when they are done, they are done. Period.

So, make sure your kids know how to use droppers before trying this experiment out. It will save a lot of time and tears later. Trust me. 

Now on to the actually experiment. It is easy, straightforward, and you probably have everything you need for it in your house. I got the idea from Harriet at www.tobyandroo.com, and her experiment and pictures turned out much better than mine. Oh well. 

supplies for cloud in a jar experiment

You are going to need:
  • A clear, big cup or bowl (or 2 or 3)
  • Little containers with food coloring diluted with water
  • Shaving cream
  • An eye dropper or syringe. 

Fill up your chosen clear container with water. I did about 3/4 of the way full.

Now for the second to best part of the whole thing, sqirting a bunch of shaving cream on top of the water! I didn't get a picture of this part because my hands were a little preoccupied, but I sure had fun! I mean, hello. I never, ever have an excuse to use shaving cream, so this was awesome!

Once you are all done with that, put your containers of colored water as close as you can to the water/shaving cream container. Fill up your dropper, and squirt some water onto that shaving cream. At first it won't look like anything is happening, but remember, the shaving cream is a "cloud". Fill it up with some more water and it will start "raining" soon enough.


It is so much fun to see the little tails of color come out of the "cloud" and into the water. Ira liked that part. He also liked drinking the colored water to see what it tasted like. But we won't go there. 

So this experiment really is fun! Just because Ira wasn't into it doesn't mean any other 2 1/2 year old wouldn't. This just means I need to find another experient to try with him.  


Comments

  1. I was wanting to do this with the pre-school class I help with but was worried they would find it boring. But if Ira enjoyed it I will have to try it with them after all

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is definitely not boring! And will probably get a little messy. But totally fun! Just make sure they know how to use droppers or syringes, and they will have a blast! And you will be able to get a little science in there. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment